Can you spare a few hours a week?
Our volunteers can be male or female, any age and from any cultural background. Some choose to volunteer as a member of a regular team while others volunteer at times and places that suit their busy lifestyle.
Volunteers are offered
- Training and ongoing support from the Volunteer Coordinator
- Opportunities to gain pre-employment experience in the caring professions
- Reimbursement of out of pocket expenses (petrol, fares and meals)
- Free and confidential professional counselling through an independent EAP
- Social interaction with other Volunteers
- Community Transport drivers – driving clients to medical appointments
- Shopping assistant – Accompanying clients on our shopping bus to various Centres.
- Companionship – Visiting people in their own home to reduce social isolation.
- Social Support Drivers – Taking our clients to medical and other appointments, social outings, or grocery shopping.
- Meal deliveries – Weekly delivery of frozen meals to our clients
- Activity assistant – Our day centres provide daily activities that are client centred. Ideal role for volunteers whom are interested in arts and crafts.
- Kitchen assistants – Helping with meal preparation, serving and hospitality in our Day Centres. Experience in food handling is preferred.
- Attend training sessions as directed by the Volunteer Coordinator
- Maintain confidentiality and boundaries at all times
- Police Clearance and WWC required (we organise free of charge)
- To adhere to safe work practices in your required role
- Abide by Mercy Services values – justice, respect, service, care, and unity
To volunteer with us, call 4962 6680 and ask to speak to our dedicated Volunteers Coordinator, Karen Maloney.
Provide conversation and assistance as clients enjoy their regular shopping trips.
Provide conversation with the aim of helping the client feel that their history/interests/hopes have been heard, affirmed and encouraged. The focus of conversation should be to build up the client’s confidence, self esteem and their understanding that they are a person others are interested in and that others enjoy their company.
Assist our clients to get out and about in either small vehicles or our larger buses (licencing restrictions apply).
Deliver nutritious meals to clients, to enjoy in the comfort of their own home.
Assist our clients and residents to enjoy a wide range of activities in our day centres and our residential facility.
Help us provide delicious and nutritious food for our clients to enjoy in each day centre.
Our organisation, and our community, is richer by the valued gift of the volunteers time, concern and idealism.